Not only did I only take about five photos of my two week Eastern European jaunt (all of Bruce), I also forgot to update my blog...so, even though it's exactly 217 days here it is:
So before I bid farewell to my pretend family and had to embark on a seventeen hour train journey to Vienna I was taken out for a meal. It was absolutely class; it was in the same vein as Banana Leaf but wasn't made of dog food. I said my goodbyes, and even managed to get a hug off boy...only took me two months. Got myself to the train station with about five minutes to spare before my train, only I didn't have five minutes to spare because I'd completely made up the train time in my head and consequently missed it by 35 minutes, d'awwwwwwww. I spent the next ten minutes trying to explain to the little round Dutch lady working in the station that I was trying to get to
Vienna. Roundy did good, she managed to find me a faster first train that would get me back on my original route. I think when I booked the ticket I was far too excited about getting to Vienna to take into account that it involved six changes which is pretty much awful when it's through the night, I was constantly in fear of falling asleep and ending up in some tiny German town reminisant of Boro. Luckily for me Henry was awake for a lot of my journey meaning I got to play hours of snog, marry, cruise via BBM.
I arrived in
Vienna feeling proper gross so got changed and threw away the clothes I'd been wearing, I'm still not sure why I threw them away. Met Bruce and Phill and went on a spaghetti bolognaise making mission. After a de-grossing shower we went to meet Sami (someone Bruce and Phill had been staying with in
Vienna) for some birthday drinks. Turns out some people are sophisticated and order nice wine and drink it slowly, I was a little bit disappointed we weren't just getting smashed like. Somehow ended up getting smashed anyway.
After a look around
Vienna (for a McDonalds) it was time for the train to
Brasov, Romania. Proper class
Brasov. Plus they have this sign in the hills:
Wish they'd stick a Boro one up Eston hills.
Unfortunately, the Romanian rail network isn't quite up to scratch yet (I'm fairly sure they were laying the track in front of the train we were on) so we missed our connecting train to
Belgrade by about five hours. Missing said connecting train meant we had to stay in
Bucharest for the night. We were directed to a hostel which was situated above an arcade with loads of stray dogs running about outside. They led us down a dark alley and up the stairs (at which point I was fairly sure I was about to be murdered) to a very nice hostel room. Spent a good twenty minutes trying to figure out how much the room was and what time they wanted us to leave with the owner who spoke no English, all made harder by him trying to ask if he could have my pen as a souvenir for his wife.
Bucharest is hot, and there’s a lot of 6 foot deep holes in the floor. That's pretty much it.
Got the train to
Belgrade the following night.
Belgrade was hot; my hair was huge within five minutes of getting off the train. Found our hostel and walked the ten flights of stairs up to it, only to find out because we were a day late they'd cancelled our reservation. They directed us to another hostel down the road which was actually just some nanas house with a few spare rooms. Met a Bulgarian called
Coco, the less said about him the better.
After a very hot couple of days in
Belgrade we got our last night train to
Sofia, Bulgaria. It's pretty much the strangest city I've ever been to. Loads of nuts statues everywhere. I can't really explain it but none of them were very good and none of them looked like they fit in. This was probably my favourite:
That was it, probably sounds shit but it was proper class.
No comments:
Post a Comment